Matsuura family built Hinodake Castle on Kameoka hill across Hirado in 1599.
When going to the Castle from the town, people had to go by ferryboat or long detour because for reasons of defense, no bridge had been constructed.
In 1669, the ferry service was banished and a wooden bridge called Saiwai-bashi bridge was constructed.
The bridge was used by many people, and Matsuura family replaced it with an arch-type stone bridge in 1702.
The stone bridge is called as Dutch Bridge, because the mason Toyosaki who took part in the construction of a Dutch trading post in Hrado at the beginning of the 17th Century learned from Dutchman the technique of building an arch-type bridge and utilized it in construction of the stone bridge.