Camping Tip #1:
Bring Waterproof friendly toys in a container that has a handle. Easy "temporary" toy box and easy transport with the handle. Easy drain and clean at the beach, lake, or outdoor faucet. When you come back, toss your toys in the washing machine or dishwasher for easy sterilizing and cleaning.
Saikyoji Temple - 1206 Iwanouecho, Hirado, Nagasaki Prefecture 859-5121, Japan
Hidden in the middle of a small bamboo forest this sacred temple and shrine is an attraction to the town of Hirado. Saikyoju Temple is famous for its 3-storied bright red pagoda.
About a week or so ago, we spent five hours at the ER because my hubby was passing a kidney stone and was in the worse pain he had ever felt in his life. For those of you that have been through it, or have has a family member go through it, you know what I’m talking about. When the stone is passing through the urethra is the most painful part of the process, and might be just as painful as birthing a child. I say might, because I birthed and child and that process was not a picnic.
Kidney stonesare made of salts and other minerals in the urine that stick together to form small "pebbles." These stones can form in the kidneys, the ureters (the tubes that lead from the kidneys to the bladder), or the bladder. Stones are usually not a problem as long as they stay in the kidneys, but they may cause sudden, severe pain as they travel from the kidneys to the bladder. They can block the flow of urine and cause bleeding.
Kidney stones are going to happen if you are prone to having them form, but today I am going to talk about ways to less your chances.
1) Healthy Diet – Well it’s not groundbreaking news that you need to have a better diet in order to lessen your chances of getting a kidney stone. The most common types of kidney stones are calcium and oxalate and each type may require a different eating plan. If you had a calcium kidney stone, it may help to: Eat less salt and salty foods. One way to do this is to avoid processed foods and limit how often you eat at restaurants. Talk to your doctor or dietitian about how much calcium you need every day. Try to get your calcium from food, rather than from supplements. Milk, cheese, and yogurt are all good sources of calcium. If you had an oxalate kidney stone, your doctor may ask you to limit certain foods that have a lot of oxalate, such as dark green vegetables, nuts, and chocolate. You don't have to give up these foods, just eat or drink less of them.
2) Increase your Water intake – Drink lots and lots and LOTS of water. Not drinking enough fluids can cause the minerals and other things in the urine to stick together and form a stone. Try drinking at least 8-10 glasses of water a day
3) A glass of lemonade a day keeps the doctor away - Drink lemonade made from real lemons (not lemon flavoring). It is high in citrate, which may help prevent kidney stones.
4) Make Sure You Get Adequate Magnesium – Magnesium is responsible for more than 300 biochemical reactions in your body, and deficiency of this mineral has been linked to kidney stones. It also plays an important role in your body's absorption and assimilation of calcium, as if you consume too much calcium without adequate magnesium, the excess calcium can actually become toxic and contribute to health conditions like kidney stones. Magnesium helps prevent calcium from combining with oxalate, which is the most common type of kidney stone.
Green leafy vegetables like spinach and Swiss chard are excellent sources of magnesium, and one of the simplest ways to make sure you're consuming enough of these is by juicing your vegetables. Vegetable juice is an excellent source of magnesium, as are some beans, nuts like almonds, and seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds. Avocadoes are also a good source. However, surveys suggest that many Americans are not getting enough magnesium in their diets.
5) Soda is EL DIABLO. As well as sugar and high fructose diets – My hubby was unable to catch the stone when it passed, which is unfortunate because if you do, you can get it analyzed so that you can see what type of food was causing your kidney stones, but the doctor and I suspected it was the amount of soda that my husband was drinking. Between the carbonation and the sugars in soda, it was enough to form quite a few kidney stones in my hubby’s kidneys, he’s lucky he really only had one. I can go into this even more on how horrible soda is to your health, but that will be another blog on its own.
Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in your body by interfering with calcium and magnesium absorption. The consumption of unhealthy sugars and soda by children is a large factor in why children as young as age five or six are now developing kidney stones. One South African study2 found that drinking soda exacerbates conditions in your urine that lead to formation of calcium oxalate kidney stone problems. Sugar can also increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in your kidney, such as the formation of kidney stones.
6) Get your Booty off the Couch! - You're more prone to kidney stones if you're bedridden or very sedentary for a long period of time, partly because limited activity can cause your bones to release more calcium. Exercise will also help you to resolve high blood pressure, a condition that doubles your risk for kidney stones.
People have been using activated charcoal for thousands of years. In World War I, activated charcoal was used in gas masks to prevent soldiers from being poisoned by chemical exposure, and it has been used to treat water (making it tasteless and odorless) since 1930.
Activated charcoal and regular charcoal are almost identical – the only difference is that activated charcoal has been created solely for medicinal use. To create activated charcoal, regular charcoal is heated with a gas that causes the charcoal to expand, creating a porous surface that traps toxins.
Activated charcoal works because it chemically binds other substances to its surface and can absorb thousands of times its own weight. It also has an incredibly large surface area due to all of its pores – one cubic inch of charcoal has the surface area equivalent to a 150,000 square-foot field. This is why just a bit of charcoal can absorb so many toxins, atoms, and ions.
That's a brief history on where activated charcoal came from, below are the 16 benefits and uses to have activated charcoal on-hand in your home.
1-Rid Your Body of Toxins in Emergency Situations. Read more about it here.
2-Treat Food Poisoning
3-Relieve Bites and Bee Stings
4-Make your own Water filter
5-Aid in morning sickness in pregnancy. Consult your doctor first.
6-Sprinkle some on kitty litter to help with odor control
7-Make your own fridge odor absorber
8-Reduce Acne and Improve Skin Health. Make your own face mask here.
9-Whiten Teeth in five minutes
10-Getting rid of a stomach flu
11-Reduce or Eliminate Gas
13-Make your own drawing salve
14-Prevent a Hangover – I haven’t tried this one myself, but they say if you take one before bed it’ll lessen the amount of alcohol absorbed in the body
15-Make Homemade eyeliner
16-Make Homemade Mascara
Thieves essential oil is a blend of highly antiviral, antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-infectious essential oils. Thieves was created from research of a group of 15th-century thieves, the ‘4 thieves’, who rubbed oils on themselves to avoid contracting the deadly plague while they robbed the bodies of the dead and dying. When apprehended, these thieves disclosed the formula of herbs, spices, and oils they used to protect themselves in exchange for more lenient punishment. It is the story of these 4 thieves which brought forth the popular essential oil blend called Thieves.
By combining Thieves essential oil with a few basic household items such as; vinegar, baking soda, olive oil, V-6 Massage Oil, or water – you can easily create various different cleaning products and simple first aid remedies. Here are some of the uses and benefits of thieves essential oil
1-Mix one drop with a tablespoon of water, gargle and swallow for a sore throat.
2-Put a drop on your thumb and push thumb on the roof of your mouth for a few minutes to relieve a headache
3-Put a couple of drops of thieves essential oil directly on the soles of your feet to protect you from colds and flu throughout the day.
4-Breathe in vapors directly from the bottle when you have lung congestions
5-Rub a few drops on gums if they feel achy and to prevent gum disease
6-put a drop in your tea to maintain good health
7-Mix with 1-2 drops of honey in a teaspoon for cough relief
I love emu oil, my husband sunburns easily and the best remedy that I have found so far is emu oil. Emu oil has been used for thousands of years as a natural medicine by Aborigines of Australia It was used for Arthritis pain relief, to heal wounds, burns, sunburns, and to reduce the pain, itch & swelling of insect bites and stings.
Emu Oil scientific studies show that it has healing properties in many different ways, and it can be used internally and externally for the benefit of our health and well being.
The Benefits and uses of Emu Oil
-Reduces the depth and length of fine lines, age spots, and wrinkles
-Awesome moisturizer and skin softener
-Non-toxic and natural, does not clog pores and is also hypo-allergenic
-reduce and limit acne breakouts
-great for sunburns and mild burns, heals them 50% faster!
-Great for arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome
- Got Chapped lips? Put some on your pout
-Great for conditioning hair and limits dandruff
-Great diaper rash alternative, although I don’t recommend it. It’s effective but emu oil can get expensive for diaper rashes. Stick with coconut oil on this tip
-helps heal dry skin and eczema
-Relieves insect bites
-got razor burns and nicks? Use a little emu oil
-Daily use limits the appearance of scars and prevents new ones
-Sunburn and windburn relief
-takes the sting out of wasp and bee stings
-when taken internally, it contains both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which is good for the heart and contains good cholesterol
-Limits the appearance of stretch marks
- Emu Oil is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent that can rejuvenate skin cells and produce up to 80% in healthy hair growth
My aloe plant is the most forgiving succulent plant that I own. If I sometimes forget to water it one day, it forgives me and is ok if I water it the next day. It’s a great plant for almost all temperatures and it has awesome herbal healing properties. If you don’t have an aloe vera plant growing at your place, get one as soon as you can so that you can utilize these benefits.
Here is a list of the benefits of having Aloe around:
-It can be used as shaving lotion and it leaves your legs silky soft. Score!
-When you mix aloe with sugar you create a great body sugar scrub.
-Boost your immune system – Aloe has tons of vitamins that help your body.
-Treat burns and soothe sunburns by mixing a little aloe and emu oil. It’s the burn miracle cream.
-Relieve the itchiness in bug bites
-Helps reduce inflammation
-Improves cardiovascular health
-A great moisturizer for your body and face and can reverse the signs of aging skin
-Stayed up all night? Put some aloe leaves in the fridge and apply to your eyes. It takes the puffiness away and assists in dark circles.
-Does wonders on stretch marks, apply twice daily. This was a godsend during my pregnancy.
-You can consume aloe as a drink, it can help with any digestive problems.
-Also, Bonus! Aloe is a wonderful energy booster when you drink up!
-Dandruff remedy – mix it with your shampoo. Easy Peasy
-Lowers cholesterol, my dad can use a little aloe vera in his life.
-Soothes with arthritis pain, my mom can also use a little aloe vera in his life.
-DIY hand sanitizer – Aloe Vera gel, some rubbing alcohol, and 10 drops of thieves essential oil makes an easy homemade sanitizer.
-Constant use of aloe vera can also help with acne break outs. I have it in my daily regiments.
-Conditions your hair after you have dyed it without making it look greasy!
-Helps with canker sores. Apply and soothe.
-Reduces high blood pressure by treating the cause, not just the symptoms
-The anti-fungal properties in aloe help treat yeast infections
- Aloe can also assist in weight loss. Say what?! Drink up!
-A natural remedy to constipation
-If you have ear pain a few drops will provide some relief.
-Assists in hair growth and regulates hair lose
Do you have any aloe vera tips? Email us and I’ll add your tip to our list!
| || |
Save Space with this must needed space saving bucket. Great for tent camping, RV, and Camper camping!
Getting Little One into books? This book is a great interaction book to get your LO loving story time. I read this to my LO and it's one of the first books he picks to read before bedtime.